Thursday, April 4, 2013

Review: City of Ashes

Even better than the first!  This book was fast paced and kept me interested from beginning to end.  Of course we still have the main triangle of Clary, Jace, and Simon and although I am on team Jace, I do really like Simon too.  It is still believed that Clary and Jace are siblings but I'm betting this must eventually change.  A girl can hope... Plus, the way they continue to act in this story seems to show that they aren't getting over one another any time soon. 

The main premise of this installment is that Valentine has now stolen the second Mortal Instrument, the Soul Sword.  He plans to use it, along with the blood of Downworlder children, to call his army.  Clary and her crew must find a way to stop him without getting killed in the process.  There are several really engaging action scenes that kept me on the edge of my seat.  In all of these scenes, Jace and Simon try to be Clary's ultimate protectors but we learn as we get deeper into the story that she is much more powerful than anyone had realized.  I came up with a lot of new theories about what path her character might take.

We also meet some intriguing new characters in this book but it wasn't so many that you couldn't keep track.  Every character had a purpose in the story.  As much as I want to dive into the next book, City of Glass, I do have a couple of other books ahead of it on my Nook.  This was definitely a strong sequel and I can't wait to continue the series!

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely love these books! When I went to college I took a hiatus from reading so I could get my homework done but when I stumbled across this series and I couldn't get enough of it. Stayed up three nights in a row to read the first three.

    The movie is coming out in August but I'm not sure how I feel about that :S Go team Jace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree about the movie. When I read the first book, I was so mad that they were told they were related at the end that I waited before reading the second one. I get the feeling now though that maybe this wasn't true. I'm almost ready for the third in the series. It is next on my list! Thanks for commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry. The third book in the series won't let you down and the fourth is excellent as well. Still working on the fifth myself. here's a prequel series to this one called the Infernal Devices. The first book is called Clockwork Angel and it takes place in the late 1800s. They are almost the better of the two but it's hard to decide. If you liked this series another great one that you might like is the Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima. That one just wrapped up with the fourth book.

      Delete
  3. I haven't stumbled across this series yet but it sounds like something I would enjoy reading. What's the first book called and does the series have a name? A couple months ago I randomly picked up a Harry Dresden novel
    Since then I've read all 13 or 14 novels in that series. This was my intro to sci-fi. I've tried since then to read other books in the same genre but none of them really caught my imagination. But, I'd like to try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first book is City of Bones and the series is called the Mortal Instruments. Thanks so much for commenting!

    ReplyDelete