Top Ten Things That Make Me Instantly
NOT Want to Read a Book
This is a hard question because it takes a lot for me not to want to read. There are definitely some things however, that will deter me from picking up a book...
- If I know it is a huge tearjerker. I don't mind crying in a book but I don't like to finish a story and feel depressed or cry through the entire thing. A sad part or two is fine but if it is more than that, I stay away.
- If an animal dies. Not just any animal but an animal that is a main focus of the story. So, there is no Old Yeller or Love That Dog for me. No thanks.
- If the characters on the cover are half naked with their facial expressions in the throes of ecstasy. I'm no prude but this just turns me off completely, even if I have heard the book is fantastic.
- If the print is so tiny, I can barely read it. I have decent vision but I deplore teeny tiny print. Is is hard to focus and unattractive.
- No meaningful relationships. It doesn't have to be romance, but some sort of relationship deepens a story. I find books without them to be bland.
- Horrible grammar. Unless it is purposeful, I have no interest in books that have a ton of grammatical errors.
- Books about sports. Boring...
- Books with a ton of bad reviews. I may read it eventually, but not until someone convinces me that it is worth picking up.
- Books of poetry. Just not my cup of tea.
- Overdone love triangles. I don't mind it for a few chapters but please don't spread it over the whole book or series. I hate that.
How about you?