Saturday, May 11, 2013

Review: City of Glass

City of Glass is the third book in the Mortal Instruments series and I was not disappointed.  Finished it in two nights.  I had to close it on the first night because it was 2:00am and I had to get up at 6:30am for work (ugh!).  By the next evening, I was a complete zombie but I just had to see what happened next with Valentine and if Jace and Clary would finally know the truth about their relationship to one another.  

The book opens with Clary finding out that she needs to travel to the City of Glass in order to revive her mother from the magical coma she is in.  Jace does not want her to go and so lies to her about when they are leaving so that she will miss the portal.  She is desperate and furious and impulsively, she uses her new found power of rune making to create her own portal.  Luke grabs onto her at the last minute and ends up going through with her, saving her from drowning in the lake when they arrive.  This adds another problem to the mix because Luke is a downworlder and therefore not welcome in the city.  Meanwhile, Valentine is trying to destroy the city using the mortal instruments to call demons. He also has a few fellow evildoers working within the city.

I could feel Jace's struggle when he sees Clary, wanting so badly to hate her so he could stop struggling with how much he really cares for her.  Of course, this doesn't work and they have many scenes where they almost give in to the obvious chemistry between them.  Simon is still a major character in the story as the nerdy, yet kind of hot vampire.  He seems to mature a lot in this book, having accepted Clary's love for Jace and his new path in life... or death I should say.  I wasn't a big Simon fan in the first book but I find I am liking him more and more as the series progress.  Alec and Magnus share some great sarcastic dialogue that made me laugh out loud and we finally meet Jocelyn and learn more about her part in the story. 

There were some great action scenes in the story and a few heartbreaking moments.  We are also presented with some new characters that add great twists and turns to the plot.  Some you will love and a few you will love to hate.  Of course, we still have the major questions that must be answered:  Will Clary and Jace find out that they can be together or are they really siblings?  Can the Shadowhunters and the Downworlders put aside their differences and work together to defeat Valentine?

Well, you'll have to read the book to find out because I don't believe in spoiling the story for those who haven't read it yet.  I will say though, that as I finished the last page and closed the book, I had a smile on my face.  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment