Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Review: The Evolution of Mara Dyer

This is the second book in the Mara Dyer Trilogy by Michelle Hodkin.  I didn't know much about this author so I did some searching and found that she has an interesting blog at www.michellehodkin.com.  The archives have all kinds of cool stuff about the first two books, including the first chapter of Unbecoming from Noah's point of view.

Synopsis of The Evolution of Mara Dyer from B&N:
Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.  She can’t.  She used to think her problems were all in her head.  They aren’t.  She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.  She’s wrong.  In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?
What I thought:
This book was much darker than the first one but I was completely sucked in to Mara's character even more so because of this.  She didn't give up but she was so fragile inside, always second guessing herself and so close to breaking.  Without Noah to reassure her and encourage her to keep going, I don't think she would have kept fighting.  He was definitely her rock.  
I also want to say that one thing I really liked about the book was that it completely surprised me at the end.  I was not expecting things to turn out the way they did.  Many times, I can predict how the story will turn out once I get to a certain point.  Not this one.  Very few questions were answered and the story left me with a huge cliffhanger even more frustrating than the end of the first book.  I was also extremely happy that the author didn't mess too much with Noah and Mara's relationship.  I didn't have to deal with any triangles or have them constantly pulled apart just when they are on the brink of happiness.  So many books follow this pattern and it can get tiring so I was glad for the consistency of the relationship in this book.  I could completely focus on the story.
I don't want to give any story elements away to those who haven't read the book but I have one possible prediction for the story.  I could be totally wrong but what a huge shocker would it be if Daniel was somehow involved in what was happening.  I don't know what makes me feel this way.  Maybe it started when she found her journal in his room.  I just feel like he isn't as perfect as he seems.  However, I could be wrong and it could also be the complete opposite and somehow he will find out the truth and be one of the heroes of the story.  I just don't know yet what role he will play in the third book.  These are just some of the ramblings that go through my head...
I Can't wait for the third book, The Retribution of Mara Dyer.  I NEED to know what happens since this story ended with such an explosion of events!  

No comments:

Post a Comment