Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Review: Clockwork Prince

Synopsis from Barnes and Noble: 
True love is shrouded in secrets and lies in the #1 New York Times bestselling second book of the Infernal Devices trilogy.
In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when it becomes clear that the mysterious Magister will stop at nothing to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.
With the help of the handsome, tortured Will and the devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal and fueled by revenge. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.
Tessa is drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa answers about who she really is? As their search leads to deadly peril, Tessa learns that secrets and lies can corrupt even the purest heart.
Winner of the 2012 Children's Choice Book Award for Teen Book of the Year
My Review:
Well, this book was just as good as the first, if not better.  There was a lot of action and just as much romance, although not so much with the two people I wanted the romance to happen with.  I'm completely team Will and I do not get my way in the second book.  I'm hoping things will change in the final book.  While on the topic of romance, I just love the blossoming romance between Gideon and Sophie.  Although it hasn't quite happened yet, I'm also hoping that these two get together.  She deserves him but she needs to get over the fact that she is a servant and stop thinking that this means they cannot be together.
My favorite character in this book (aside from Will of course) was Jessamine.  Yes... she was impossible. Yes...she was selfish.  Yes...she was kind of stupid too.  I felt sad for her.  She never got over the death of her parents and the life that she lost.  She dreamed of a life she could not have and although her choices were usually bad ones, she just wanted to be normal and leave the life of downworlders and shadowhunters behind.  I hated her sometimes as I was reading but I also understood where she was coming from.  She did not end up in a good place at the end of this book but I'm still hoping to see more of her in the third book.
Jem got on my nerves in this book.  Too sappy.  I do feel bad that he is dying but I go a bit tired of his puppy dog eyes and declarations of love.  Other than that, I loved every piece of this story.  We still don't know for sure why Mortmain wants Tessa but I wonder, since his father was a warlock, if her wants her to change in the hopes that his father will return from the dead and she will be lost forever... just a thought. 
My dreams for the third book?  I don't want Jem to die but I don't want him with Tessa either.  I want Will and Tessa together, Gideon an Sophie together, Jessamine to somehow redeem herself and find what she is looking for, and an epic battle where Mortmain is defeated, leaving our shadowhunter heroes to live in peace.  Sounds perfect... I've only to open the next book and begin to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment