Friday, March 28, 2014

Review: Previously Loved Treasures

What a nice story.  Previously Loved Treasures was a delightful look into the life of a character who desperately needed a family and found exactly what she was looking for, in a sort of round about way.

Synopsis:
In Previously Loved Treasures recently widowed Ida Sweetwater and her granddaughter come together in a heartwarming mystery rich with imagination and magic. 

Struggling to make ends meet, Ida turns her home into a boarding house and goes in search of used furniture. This quest leads to the Previously Loved Treasures shop and Peter Pennington, a delightfully strange proprietor who anticipates people’s needs. In addition to bargains, Peter hands out sage advice. When a pocket watch belonging to one of the residents goes missing for a second time he warns of danger—but will Ida’s granddaughter listen and will she heed his advice?


My Review:
This was just one of those books that leaves you feeling really good.  Not to say that it didn't have its share of heartache and drama but when I closed the book, I felt satisfied that all of the characters were going to be ok.  At least, all the characters I cared about.

Ida is delightful, a grandmother and friend that anyone would be honored to have.  She was looking for her son and instead found a granddaughter.  This granddaughter, Caroline, was also looking for something, and Ida came at just the right time in her life when she needed her the most.  In fact, I think what I loved most about this book is that almost all of the characters accepted each other and grew to love each other, filling in the empty spaces in their hearts.  

The character of Peter was fascinating.  Was he real or was he a guardian angel?  I tend to lean toward guardian angel.  He was definitely sent to give these women what they needed but also to guide them toward the right path and the right choices.  I like to think we all have that little something or someone helping us make the right decisions, but to really have that guidance be a tangible person with a store full of just what you need added that perfect little bit of magic to the story.  It was enough to give a bit of fun when wondering what each item's purpose would be.

Are there some "not so nice" people in this book trying to ruin things for our main characters? Absolutely, and they are mean and nasty and I felt angry when they acted so terribly. There were times when I wanted certain characters to meet an untimely end.  I won't say more because I don't want to spoil the story.  I think it is important for everyone to pick up this book and meet Peter, Ida, Caroline, and all of the other characters for themselves. I can only hope to have kind people like this in my life when I need them.  

I can almost guarantee that you will finish this story and have the same feeling of satisfaction that I did.  I just love a happy ending.
                                                                                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment