Friday, August 15, 2014

Review: Opposition

I couldn't wait to get my hands on Opposition so when it came out, I grabbed it immediately and pushed it to the top of my TBR list, and that list has been getting pretty long lately with all of the great books being released this summer. I spent most of my day reading it on the beach yesterday (except for when the kids dragged me into the water) and I finished it last night after they went to bed.  It was a perfect ending to a truly thrilling ride.  I'm just sad it is over.

Synopsis from Amazon:
Katy knows the world changed the night the Luxen came. She can’t believe Daemon stood by as his kind threatened to obliterate every last human and hybrid on Earth. But the lines between good and bad have blurred.
Daemon will do anything to save those he loves, even if it means betrayal. But when it quickly becomes impossible to tell friend from foe, and the world is crumbling around them, they may lose everything to ensure the survival of their friends…and mankind.

My Review:
Talk about starting off with a bang!  We begin right where we left off. The Luxen have come. Daemon, Dawson, and Dee are with the enemy, and Archer and Katy are with Beth, trying to stay hidden and alive.  This story was a page turner from the very beginning. To be honest, although I had a feeling that everything would end well, there were a few really tragic moments for our characters that had me wondering how it would all pan out.  

Daemon is for the most part, his usual self.  He is sizzling hot, mouthy, and flies off the handle whenever Katy is threatened.  He is the ultimate book boyfriend for those of us who like a little bit of bad-ass with our swoon.  Katy learns just how brave and strong she is in this story.  She goes through what most people don't have to deal with in a lifetime and still comes out of it sane because she has Daemon at her side.  She still however, could be very vulnerable at times which I thought was important because it kept that original Katy with us throughout.  I was thrilled to see her inner book nerd revisited toward the end of the story.  If she had become too desensitized, the dynamic between she and Daemon wouldn't have been the same.  

Aside from our main dynamic duo, Archer was my favorite character.  He was the perfect amount of arrogant but would do just about anything to keep his friends safe, especially Katy.  I loved when she would have all the deep thoughts and he would suddenly comment on them sarcastically or when she would think of a question and he would just answer. Daemon hated it and that made it even funnier at times.  Archer's developing romance with Dee wasn't overpowering because it hadn't really been developed earlier on but I was glad to see that he fell for someone other than Katy and had his chance.  

The suspense and action in the book was almost non-stop and there were moments where it wasn't clear who would live and who would die.  I have to end this review by saying thank you to Jennifer Armentrout. There have been a lot of series endings over the past years that have really been, let's say... disappointing, at least for me.  With the Lux series, I was completely satisfied with the ending. Tragedy and Triumph were both present and although I closed the book smiling, I was also feeling bittersweet and full of hope for the fictional future.

This was a five star book and a five star series for me.  Engaging and enjoyable from beginning to end.  If you haven't grabbed this series yet or you are on the fence, it is worth the read.  :)

                                                                                                                                       

1 comment:

  1. This is a great series! I started reading the book the day it came out! Such a great read.

    Isabel @ libermans

    ReplyDelete