Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014 end of year survey

This is the 5th annual End of Year Book Survey, hosted by The Perpetual Page Turner.  The survey is a great way to reflect on your own reading throughout the past year, and can also provide you with some great new book titles to add to your TBR list for 2015!
I shortened the survey a bit because of time constraints but I really wanted to participate. After reading my list, click here to go to the main post and join up with everyone else.  All of the questions are here for you.  I know I'll be adding a ton of new books to my 2015 reading list.  
Note: The survey is for books you read throughout the year, no matter when they were published, and is not limited to just books that came out in 2014!!

Number of books I read: 69... pretty darn good for someone who works full time and has two kids! lol.
Number of re-reads: 2
Genre I read the most from: Probably YA paranormal with historical fiction coming in 2nd

Best book I read in 2014:
I have to do a four way tie... sorry.

 Book I was excited about and thought I was going to love more but didn't:
Allegiant by Veronica Roth. I was very disappointed in the ending of this series.

Most surprising book I read in 2014:
Get Lost by Xavier Neal.  I really enjoyed this Peter Pan inspired story and I wasn't sure I would.

Books I pushed the most people to read in 2014:
I don't really push books but I did recommend Neanderthal Seeks Human and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown to a few people.

Best series I started in 2014, best sequel, and best ender:
Started: The Wishcraft Mystery series by Heather Blake
Sequel: Hollow City by Ransom Riggs
Ender: City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

Favorite new author (for me anyway):
Amalie Howard (author of Bloodspell)

Best book in a genre I don't typically read:
The Chase by Lee Goldberg and Janet Evanovich

Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book(s):
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
The Outside by Laura Bickle

Book I will most likely re-read in 2015:
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

Favorite cover of a book I read in 2014:










Most memorable character of 2014:
Matthew Claremont from The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness

Most beautifully written book:
The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness

Most thought-provoking/life changing book:
I don't really have one but if I had to choose, it would be That Night by Chevy Stevens

Book I can't believe I waited until 2014 to read:
Mariana by Susanna Kearsley

Favorite passage/quote from a book in 2014:
I have way too many favorites.  I can't choose one.

Shortest book/longest book:
Shortest: Beauty and the Mustache by Penny Reid
Longest:  City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

Book that shocked me the most:
Allegiant by Veronica Roth.  I did NOT like the ending

OTP of the year:
Charley Davidson and Reyes Farrow from the Charley Davidson series

Favorite non-romantic relationship of the year:
Harry and Hermoine from my re-read of Harry Potter

Book that put a smile on my face:
Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen

Book that made me cry:
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

Hidden Gem of the Year:
Still going with The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

Book that crushed my soul:
Still going with Allegiant

Most unique book(s) of 2014:
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown or The Outside

My Blogging Life:

New favorite blog:
I have tons... there is no way for me to choose.  I visit new ones all the time.

Favorite review I wrote this year:
Bloodspell by Amalie Howard

Best event I participated in:
Bout of Books (spring session)
Goodreads Book Challenge

This is my second full year with my blog.  I wasn't sure it would last this long but I am still loving it.  I am finding new blogs all the time and I love taking time out to browse through them and see all of the great bookish posts each week.  I participated in several book challenges including the Goodreads challenge and went beyond my 52 book goal.  I made an additional goal last year to try to comment more on other people's blogs and have noticed an upswing in the comments I am receiving as well. This year I would like to branch out and take a chance at writing some posts that aren't focused on reviewing books or participating in weekly memes.  We will see how that goes. ;)

                                                                                                                                    post signature

7 comments:

  1. The coldest girl in coldtown is still sitting on my shelf unread. Holly Black is one of my favorite authors so I hope to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, easily one of my favourite books of all time. I read it last year and I just can't wait to read it again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown and The Book of Life were both amazing books. Yay to two years of blogging and still loving it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I obviously need to read The Coldest Girl in Coldtown ;) I have a copy but I was worried I wouldn't like it but now I'm excited to give it a try! I haven't read Allegiant but I know the ending and I would be disappointed as well :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh! Great answers! I loved Ocean at the end of the lane..,gorgeous cover.
    Mariana for can't believe you waited?! Omg, it's been on my shelf for a year. I do like Kearsley I read one of her books before and loved it. Going to push it up to my top portion of my TBR!
    I read half of coldest girl (or listened I mean) but audiobook expired from library. I did buy the ebook when it was on sale so I have to finish it.
    Matthew ...love him! I need to read book of Life It's one that I plan to read soon bc I meant to read it "last year" hah :)
    Thanks for stopping by my survey! Imexcited to read Mariana now!
    -Dee @ Dee's Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to read the ocean at the end of the land and hollow city. Looks like you had a fun reading year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. just came across your blog today and I'm really enjoying it! I'm making my list of books to read now! Oh and I definitely agree with you about Allegiant. Disappointing ending.

    ReplyDelete