Friday, July 12, 2013

Review: Fifth Grave Past the Light

Fifth Grave Past the Light was a book I have been waiting for impatiently since January.  It is the fifth book in the Charley Davidson series.  These are not YA novels and there does tend to be quite a bit of sex in them, sometimes a little too much in my opinion, but the books are so much fun to read that I just let it go.  Finished this one in a single day and enjoyed it even more than the last one.  :)

Synopsis of Fifth Grave Past the Light from Barnes and Noble:
Charley Davidson isn’t your everyday, run-of-the-mill grim reaper.  She’s more of a paranormal private eye/grim reaper extraordinaire.  However, she gets sidetracked when the sexy, sultry son of Satan, Reyes Farrow, moves in next door. To further complicate matters, Reyes is her main suspect in an arson case.  Charley has vowed to stay away from him until she can find out the truth…but then dead women start appearing in her apartment, one after another, each lost, confused, and terrified beyond reason.  When it becomes apparent that her own sister, Gemma, is the serial killer’s next target Charley has no choice but to ask for Reyes’ help.  Arsonist or not, he’s the one man alive who could protect Gemma no matter who or what came at her. But he wants something in return. Charley. All of her, body and soul. And to keep her sister safe, it is a price she is willing to pay.


These books actually remind me a lot of the Janet Evanovich books about Stephanie Plum.  Charley and her best friend Cookie can easily be compared to Stephanie and Lulu and have the same type of relationship, lending a good amount of humor to the stories.  Sometimes to the point where I laugh out loud.  I find that the Charley Davidson books however, aren't quite as predictable as the Plum series.  As much as I loved the Plum series,  I grew bored after a while reading the Evanovich books because it was the same thing over and over again.  Darynda Jones keeps the Charley Davidson stories moving forward with each novel.  The characters change, grow, and learn from their mistakes.  I can't wait for the next book, Sixth Grave on the Edge which comes out in 2014!
Next up, I found a book that (coincidentally) is by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg called, The Heist.  It looked fun and since it is summer, I am all about fun so I am going to give it a shot.  :)



1 comment:

  1. OOh nice review! My copy of this finally arrived yesterday and now I find myself having to work this weekend! Will be diving in the first chance I get though!!

    ReplyDelete