Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Review: Finale

Finale was the fourth and last book in the Hush Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick.

Synopsis from Barnesandnoble.com:
Fates unfurl in the gripping conclusion to the New York Times bestselling Hush Hush saga.
Nora is more certain than ever that she is in love with Patch. Fallen angel or no, he is the one for her. Her heritage and destiny may mean they are fated to be enemies, but there is no turning her back on him. Now Nora and Patch must gather their strength to face one last, perilous trial. Old enemies return, new enemies are made, and a friend’s ultimate betrayal threatens the peace Patch and Nora so desperately want. The battle lines are drawn—but which sides are they on? And in the end, are there some obstacles even love can’t conquer?

I have to admit that I really enjoyed the entire Hush Hush saga, to the point where I am almost sorry it is over.  What made me love it this much?  The characters were a main factor.  At the beginning, my general feeling toward the main female character of Nora was dislike.  Her lack of common sense had me rolling my eyes and groaning out loud. However, as the story developed, so did Nora.  She was loyal, honest (for the most part), and grew stronger both physically and mentally.  By the end of this last book, I was completely on her side and wanted more than anything for her to triumph over all of the obstacles in her way.  Patch, her true love, was the typical tall, strong, handsome hero who we all dream about.  He was willing to do whatever was needed to keep Nora safe.  He protected her even when it meant that they had to be apart.  Scott Parnell was also a character I didn't connect with at the start but he turned out to be one of my favorites.  He transformed from cocky and obnoxious to a person who anyone would be lucky to have on their side.  And of course there was Vee, who gave us a bit of comic relief by making us smile whenever she entered the scene, no matter what drama or tragedy was ensuing. I only wish there was a bit more of her throughout the last two books.

The plot held together well.  There were some parts that reminded me of other YA books I have read, but not much.  I liked the story line of the fallen angels, the Nephilim, and the archangels and how they all connected.  The story was fresh and it kept me turning the pages well into the night.  I had my theories about how the book would end but I didn't find the book to be predictable and there were a few interesting twists and turns thrown in toward the end that I wasn't expecting.  There were times in the story where I was routing for the fallen angels and then other times when I found myself switching sides because I sympathized with the predicament of the Nephilim.  No spoilers here though.  You'll have to read for yourself to see which group was victorious, if any...  :)

If you are a reader of YA novels and/or series, I would completely recommend that you pick this one up.  In order they are Hush Hush, Crescendo, Silence, and Finale.  Happy reading!



1 comment:

  1. When I finished this series, OHMYGOSH tears! But I'm a crier when it comes to books, and the only reason I cried was because I've been following the series since the first one came out and now it's OVER. Plus, Patch made my heart just explode, but he does that all the time anyway.

    In the second book, I have to agree with you when it comes to Nora. She had NO common sense whatsoever! I mean, just think before you do stuff! I started to forgive her though as the series continued. And I also feel the same way you do about Scott.

    Great review! My thoughts almost exactly!

    Amber @ My Bookshelf Is Hungry

    ReplyDelete