Sunday, July 6, 2014

Stacking the Shelves (July 5,2014)


Stacking The Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course, ebooks!
My stack for this week isn't huge because I am easily overwhelmed, but I do have a select few that I will be reading over the next couple of weeks and I am really looking forward to them.  I'll probably read at least one whole book tomorrow since I am stuck at jury duty all day!  What's on your shelf?? :)

That Night by Chevy Stevens
As a teenager, Toni Murphy had a life full of typical adolescent complications: a boyfriend she adored, a younger sister she couldn’t relate to, a strained relationship with her parents, and classmates who seemed hell-bent on making her life miserable. Things weren’t easy, but Toni could never have predicted how horrific they would become until her younger sister was brutally murdered one summer night.
Toni and her boyfriend, Ryan, were convicted of the murder and sent to prison. Now thirty-four, Toni, is out on parole and back in her hometown, struggling to adjust to a new life on the outside. Prison changed her, hardened her, and she’s doing everything in her power to avoid violating her parole and going back. This means having absolutely no contact with Ryan, avoiding fellow parolees looking to pick fights, and steering clear of trouble in all its forms. But nothing is making that easy—not Ryan, who is convinced he can figure out the truth; not her mother, who doubts Toni's innocence; and certainly not the group of women who made Toni's life hell in high school and may have darker secrets than anyone realizes. No matter how hard she tries, ignoring her old life to start a new one is impossible. Before Toni can truly move on, she must risk everything to find out what really happened that night.But in That Night by Chevy Stevens, the truth might be the most terrifying thing of all.

The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness (pre-order)
After traveling through time in Shadow of Night, the second book in Deborah Harkness’s enchanting series, historian and witch Diana Bishop and vampire scientist Matthew Clairmont return to the present to face new crises and old enemies. At Matthew’s ancestral home at Sept-Tours, they reunite with the cast of characters from A Discovery of Witches—with one significant exception. But the real threat to their future has yet to be revealed, and when it is, the search for Ashmole 782 and its missing pages takes on even more urgency. In the trilogy’s final volume, Harkness deepens her themes of power and passion, family and caring, past deeds and their present consequences. In ancestral homes and university laboratories, using ancient knowledge and modern science, from the hills of the Auvergne to the palaces of Venice and beyond, the couple at last learn what the witches discovered so many centuries ago.

The Arrivals by Melissa Marr
Chloe walks into a bar and blows five years of sobriety. When she wakes, she finds herself in an unfamiliar world, The Wasteland. She discovers people from all times and places have also arrived there: Kitty and Jack, a brother and sister from the Wild West; Edgar, a prohibition bootlegger; Francis, a one-time hippie; Melody, a mentally unbalanced 1950s housewife; and Hector, a former carnival artist. None know why they arrived there--or if there is way out of a world populated by monsters and filled with corruption.  Just as she did in Graveminder, Marr has created a vivid fantasy world that will enthrall. Melissa Marr’sThe Arrivals is a thoroughly original and wildly imagined tale about making choices in a life where death is unpredictable and often temporary.

The Turncoat by Donna Thorland
They are lovers on opposite sides of a brutal war, with everything at stake and no possibility of retreat. They can trust no one—especially not each other.  Major Lord Peter Tremayne is the last man rebel bluestocking Kate Grey should fall in love with, but when the handsome British viscount commandeers her home, Kate throws caution to the wind and responds to his seduction. She is on the verge of surrender when a spy in her own household seizes the opportunity to steal the military dispatches Tremayne carries, ensuring his disgrace—and implicating Kate in high treason. Painfully awakened to the risks of war, Kate determines to put duty ahead of desire, and offers General Washington her services as an undercover agent in the City of Brotherly Love.
                                                                                                                                            

11 comments:

  1. OOh nice! I tried to read A Discovery of Witches myself but I just couldn't get into it, sadly. Hope you enjoy the final book as well as your other new reads!

    Here's my STS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Arrivals sounds really interesting, and I really want to read The Turncoat now. I hadn't heard of it before, but it sounds like a great read. I hope you enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, I think all of these titles are new to me! I'll definitely go check them all out. I hope you enjoy your new goodies!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have That Night to read this month. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Night and Book of Life both sound good, but That Night especially just sounds really good. Have a great reading week...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh That Night sounds really interesting. Hope you enjoy all your books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for stopping by my page and following me! I'm now following you via GFC.
    That Night and The Arrivals sound like good reads, I'm going to have to add those my ever growing TBR list.
    Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've still never read any Deborah Harkness, but I hear nothing but good things! Enjoy those books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These books sound really great- and I've never seen any of them before! I absolutely ADORE Marissa Meyer's work. Enjoy! (:
    Esty @ Boarding with Books

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard great things about Deborah Harkness. I've been thinking of trying her books. Enjoy! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. None of them are really my thing but I hope you'll enjoy them-thanks for visiting my blog and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete