Tuesday, January 7, 2014

New Year's Challenge: Day 7

Hosted by Parajunkee, today's focus is your top ten book blogger pet peeves.

Again, I have only been blogging for about a year and my blog is not nearly as high level as some others.  I couldn't come up with ten but I do have several smaller ones.  Here they are:

1.  Captcha and other comment issues such as having to fill in my name and e-mail or register with a certain site.  I like when I can just comment and hit the post button and be done with it.  When I first started and asked people for some feedback, one kind person suggested turning my Captcha off.  I didn't even know what it was but I figured it out and turned it off and I am so thankful that he suggested it.  I can see how it is a turn off for people who want to comment.

2.  Spoilers in the reviews.  I always avoid that in my reviews because I don't want to ruin the story for anyone.  If you like to put them in, that's ok, but it would be nice to add a little subheading in your review to let us know they are coming so we can stop reading.

3.  Lots of photos or video clips of people quoting from a movie or show in a review.  I have to say, I don't really understand why people do this.  I feel bad but I usually don't stick around when I see these.

That is really it for me.  I'm sure more will be added as I expand my horizons with my blog.  I've had mostly positive experiences so far and love sharing and discussing books with others.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent list, and Captcha is one of my biggest peeves too! I understand why people use it, but it still annoys me. I forgot about spoilers in reviews, but I try to avoid reading reviews until after I've written my own (don't want to accidentally plagiarize something!)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I really love the kitty on the pile of books in your header. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the compliment. I love cats so I wanted to incorporate them somehow and make it book related. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spoilers are definitely one of my pet peeves. I think that if reviewers should be able to figure out how to write a review without spoiling anything.

    ~April @ Once Upon a Coffin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spoilers were a MAJOR pet peeve of mine until I figured out which bloggers/reviewers consistently wrote them, which ones gave a heads up, and which ones never went near them. It's almost to the point where I just look at the ratings anymore and don't even bother with the actual review until after I read the book.

    I KNOW on Captcha!! When I was on Blogspot, I had to search to turn mine off, too!! You never know it's on!! And I always feel bad asking someone to turn it off!!!!

    Oh, and I love the cat and books on your header/button, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spoilers are a huge turnoff for me. And for some reason, I can forget what I ate for breakfast, but I can't ever forget a book spoiler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree about sites that ask for your info just to post a comment - irritating! I have another pet peeve - fonts! I enjoy a well-designed site, but having multiple fonts is distracting from the actual book review! And the spoiler is a no-brainer! I never post them, because my ultimate goal is to get people reading!!!

    ReplyDelete